Seems like every year, we work with folks looking to buy their first home in Blacksburg. They're in various stages - recent graduates, newlyweds, singles either working or studying in the area - and home ownership is often high on the list of priorities. So I thought I'd take a look at some of the homes for sale in Blacksburg that are excellent buys for first-time buyers. According to the New River Valley Association of REALTORS, the median sales price in 2007 of homes in Blacksburg was $218600, so we'll use $220000 as our ceiling for the search. In the future, we'll look at other areas of the Valley, but for now ...
Top 10 Blacksburg Homes for First Time Buyers
- 1781 Liberty Lane, Unit #55 - Part of a newly renovated complex on South Main Street, these units have received comprehensive remodels. Everything in these units was renovated and upgraded except for the windows and the walls, and they've proven to be good values. Prices in the complex have not climbed rapidly since the project began in 2006, likely due to the addition of more than 200 condos into the market in the last couple of years, but while the price point stays down - for now - and the First & Main development continues to head towards completion, I expect we'll see a jump in values here in the next 24 months. This unit is what's considered the "Standard" model for the complex. Features in the "Standard" plan include digital thermostats, glass-top stoves, built-in microwaves, new flooring, new heat pumps, and more.
- 1731 Liberty Lane, Unit #84 - Part of a newly renovated complex on South Main Street, these units have received comprehensive remodels. Everything in these units was renovated and upgraded except for the windows and the walls, and they've proven to be good values. Prices in the complex have not climbed rapidly since the project began in 2006, likely due to the addition of more than 200 condos into the market in the last couple of years, but while the price point stays down - for now - and the First & Main development continues to head towards completion, I expect we'll see a jump in values here in the next 24 months. This unit is what's considered the "Standard" model for the complex. Features in the "Standard" plan include digital thermostats, glass-top stoves, built-in microwaves, new flooring, new heat pumps, and more. This is a third-floor unit, so there are no residents living above you, and there is a nice view from the end of the home. Seller is offering a carpet allowance in this one - there was a cat who liked to dig at carpet ... really weird!
- 1255 Sweeny Road - 1000 square feet, on an acre in Blacksburg, for less than $220000? Absolutely, but you'll have to put a little elbow grease into it! This is a great little 3 bedroom 1 bath ranch on the outskirts of Blacksburg, on a private drive off of Ellett Road. Features include a large one-acre lot, hardwood floors, ceiling fans ... it needs some updating and cleaning, but some paint and attention to detail would make this really stand out fast.
- 1903 Sussex Road - in the same general area as the two on Liberty Lane, this is a two-level, 2 bedroom 1.5 bath townhome that the owner has remodeled throughout. New laminate hardwood floors, an entirely new kitchen with countertops, new cabinets, appliances and ceramic tile backsplash ... this one is completely turnkey, and includes all appliances - including the stacked washer and dryer. I think the location of this makes it a great buy ... it backs up to Nellie's Cave Park, a Town-maintained park with picnic shelters and ball fields, but it also has public transportation right outside the door, and the HOA is really great. All in all, for the money, this is one that's going to be hard to beat, I think.
- 335 Charles Street - part of a townhome complex called Piedmont, this home is one of just a few that offers one level living in a Blacksburg townhome. It's been partially remodeled, which leaves the new buyer an opportunity to really make some changes in the kitchen (while functional, it needs updating), but the major systems of the house have been updated, including the one full bath. It's a 2 bedroom 1 bath model, which many of the homes in Piedmont are, and the HOA is again one of the best. Values in Piedmont have held well over the last several years, and are likely to continue as no new townhomes in this price range are being built right now.
- 305 Chowning Place - can you say Hethwood? That's one of the biggest reasons why I think this is a Top 10 home for a first-time buyer in Blacksburg, because it's part of the Hethwood community which has been a great value for many years. Walking trails, pool usage, fields and recreational facilities are all literally steps from your front door here. Once inside, you'll find a 1 bedroom 1 bath townhome, with a loft area for a second bedroom. That's probably why this has been on the market for so long (138 days as of this post), the one bedroom can be limiting for some buyers, but with the loft space that's easily convertible. As a former - and several time - resident of Hethwood, I can tell you firsthand that values here are strong.
- 110 Canterbury Court - The neighborhood this townhome is part of, Oak Manor, is also in the Hethwood group, which is a big bonus. The homes here a little older (built in the early 70's), but many of them have been renovated and they are often in high-demand. Most are three-story units, with partially or fully-finished walkout basements, which gives you a nice private place to relax. This particular home has the popular 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath layout (some have one less full bath, which is a detriment), and although it's been rented the last few years it has new vinyl, insulated windows which will save a first-time buyer a LOT of money in heating and cooling bills. Sits on a nice, private culdesac.
- 1315 Palmer Drive - A quaint ranch-style home on a good lot in Highland Park. And oh yea - it's under $200000! This home actually went under contract very quickly (< 2 weeks), then came back on the market earlier this month. I don't know the details of why, but I do know a good first-time buyer value when I see one! 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1700+ square feet in Highland Park with hardwood floors, heat pump, radon system and a home warranty - all things a first-time buyer in Blacksburg might be interested in. With some landscaping outside, this one could be a real diamond.
- 116 Camelot Court - Like 110 Canterbury Court, this home is also part of the Hethwood and Oak Manor group. It has 3 bedrooms, 2 full and 2 half baths, and has been renovated extensively, both inside and out. This is one of the nicest I've seen in Oak Manor in quite some time - prefinished hardwood floors, insulated vinyl windows, ceiling fans ... and then there's the backyard! Make sure to check out the photos of the terraced backyard with brickwork, they've done a really good job with it. This is a must-see if you're looking for a townhouse in Oak Manor.
- 1700 Trillium Lane - Built by one of the best builders in the area, Progress Street Builders, this is a really nice two-story, 2 bedroom 2.5 bath townhome with a feature rarely seen in Blacksburg - a master bedroom front porch on the second floor. Features in this home include 9' ceilings, 7" baseboard and double crown molding, hardwood and tile floors, and recessed lights. At 1480 square feet it's a little smaller than some of the other homes a first-time buyer might look at, but the features definitely set it apart. No garage, which might rule out some buyers, but with the fairly mild winters we have here in Blacksburg that might not be a concern for a first-time buyer.
Call Me, Twitter Me, Email Me
So there you have it - the first in a series of posts entitled "Top 10 Homes for First-Time Buyers". Hope you enjoyed learning a little more about Blacksburg VA homes that a first-time buyer might consider, and if you'd like more information about these homes, or the Blacksburg real estate market in general, email me, find me on Twitter, or use that old fashioned telephone and call me at 540-998-4731!
If you enjoyed this post, why not leave a comment and subscribe via RSS or email here to be sure you don't miss the next post?